Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, and with love on the brain, we wanted to bring you an extra special treat for your pup! We know how great those wet doggy kisses are, so let’s whip up some dental-based treats to make sure their breath is minty fresh! We’re including both a baked cookie and a frozen treat, so you can pick one (or both) to make your pup feel extra special on the day of love!
Frozen Minty Apple Treat
These simple snacks are easy to make, delicious, and will help freshen your dog’s breath! Mint and parsley are natural breath-fresheners, and parsley is also a natural antibacterial. Apples are great for dental health too, and you can use any variety of apple - just make sure that the core and seeds are removed first! You should also avoid pennyroyal mint as this variety is toxic.
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
¼ cup fresh mint
¼ cup fresh parsley
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup apple, finely chopped
A few of your dog’s favourite healthybud meal-toppers
- Blend together the yogurt, mint, parsley, and coconut oil (this is easiest with a food processor or blender).
- Mix in the chopped apple.
- Spoon the mixture into a silicone mold or ice cube tray. Crumble your dogs fave healthybud meal topper on top for an extra flavour boost.
- Put in the freezer overnight, and once firm freeze in an airtight container.
This recipe calls for the oven, so allow yourself enough time to bake and let these treats cool before you give them to your pup. You’ll find that this homemade version of a dental treat also uses parsley and mint leaves. Make sure you aren’t giving your dog too many treats in a day, especially with mint leaves, since you should limit them to a few leaves a day.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- ⅓ cup flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ⅛ cup fresh mint leaves (about 10 leaves)
- ⅛ cup fresh parsley
- 1-2 tbsp low sodium beef or chicken broth
- Healthybud meal-toppers (Gut Booster, Joint Booster or Calming Aid!)
- Combine all ingredients except for the healthybud meal toppers in a food processor.
- Use the pulse setting to finely chop the chickpeas until the mixture is a dough-like texture.
- Flour your work surface and roll the dough out with a rolling pin.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into fun shapes.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees F. If you would like a crispier cookie, allow them to cool in the oven with the door open.
- Crumble your dogs fave healthybud meal topper on top for an extra flavour boost.
If you want to make these tasty treats extra special for Valentine’s Day, consider finding a box and putting a few treats inside to make it look like a ‘box of chocolates’. Your dog will have the added fun of getting to tear apart a cardboard box (hello, mental enrichment!) and enjoy some treats that are great for their health!
Also, don’t forget to tag us @healthybudco so we can see how they came out and if your dog loved them!
Stay healthy, stay happy, stay curious #healthygang!
Lots of love,
-The healthybud team